The versatile burnished concrete finish is incredibly durable, has the potential to last for decades, and is one of the surfaces that requires the least amount of maintenance. As a result of these factors, it is simple to comprehend why burnished concrete floor finish is garnering an ever-increasing amount of interest from real estate developers, builders, architects, and homeowners.
A significant number of consumers are unable to differentiate between the burnished polished concrete surface and other fashionable finishes. After all, the method appears to be rather comparable. Concrete burnishers are mechanical tools that spin in a manner analogous to that of a concrete grinder. They are also known as power trowels or helicopters, a moniker given to them due to the whirling blades on their heads. But that is where the similarities end.
Burnishers do not have enough power to effectively grind down a concrete surface. Instead, they are put to use in the processes of heating, melting, and buffing a coating that has been placed on a surface. The chemical coating, which is commonly comprised of products based on wax, melts into the surface of the concrete and fills the pores there.
When concrete is burnished, a densifier can be used to give the surface some of the same attributes as mechanical finishes, including gloss, durability, and toughness. This can be accomplished by using a rotary tool. However, it is simple to get it wrong, and if you mess up the installation, it won’t look nearly as well as you had hoped for it to when it’s finished.
How Much Does Burnished Concrete Finish Cost
If the concrete has already been laid, polished concrete floors Sydney cost $2 to $16 per square foot, but $6 to $24 per square foot otherwise. Costs can vary according to the job’s degree of difficulty, the type of concrete employed, and whether or not customisation or ornamental decorations are included.
Polished concrete floors Sydney with simple colours and treatments are more fundamental. They often have a slightly more matte finish and cost between $2 and $8 per square foot on average.
Mid-range polished concrete floors Sydney with a somewhat higher sheen, multiple colours, or the usage of stencils and patterns average between $5 and $12 per square foot.
High-end decorative concrete floor finishes feature elaborate patterns or designs and a wide range of hues. These floors often have a highly polished surface and cost between $8 and $16 per square foot on average.
How to DIY Burnished Concrete Finish
The burnished concrete finish is the style of concrete flooring that is the most affordable; yet, it is also the most difficult and fussy to install yourself. The primary justification for this is that the process of burnishing will distort the floor if the concrete was poured incorrectly in the first place. However, despite the potential difficulties, there are a few things you should be aware of if you intend to perform the burnishing of the concrete finish on your own.
- Use a concrete densifier in the mix. In preparation for polishing, the concrete substrate will first be treated with a concrete densifier, which will increase both its strength and density.
- Polish the concrete
- Polish the surface using a burnishing machine that has a pad with the appropriate amount of grit. If you’ve never done burnishing before, you should start with a pad that has either 1500 or 2000 grit. A surface of the concrete that has a greater grit count will, in the end, have a higher degree of gloss.
Even if the process is not too challenging, you should be sure to go about it slowly and carefully. If you burnish the surface of your concrete too much, you run the risk of creating a dreadful and unappealing cosmetic facade as well as significant structural issues. You should not have any problems, however, if you move the burnishing machine over the concrete surface in an even manner while moving slowly. However, the number of repetitions can be up to your judgement; however, keep in mind that the more frequently the surface is burnished, the glossier it will become.
To have a floor that looks fantastic after it has been burnished, the slab of concrete must be poured perfectly. After that, you just need to give the floor a thorough cleaning, buff it, and finish it off with a coat of sealer. Because of this, it is in your best interest to exclusively collaborate with concrete installers who have prior experience. Even better, use one that can both burnish the surface and pour the slab at the same time. You will have the peace of mind of knowing that they will not take any shortcuts at either stage.
Pros of Burnished Concrete Finish
1. A surface of burnished concrete finish is long-lasting and incredibly robust. It is not going to buckle under the weight of significant foot traffic or machinery.
2. A burnished concrete floor finish that is properly constructed, sealed, and maintained has a life expectancy that is greater than one hundred years.
3. Due to the surface’s silky smoothness and uniformity, upkeep is a breeze. It is imperative that precautions be made to prevent dust from accumulating on the surface.
4. When correctly completed, the surface is impervious to water.
Cons of Burnished Concrete Finish
1. Since the process of trowelling the concrete makes it dense and highly resistant, the concrete itself becomes very hard. Because of this, standing on the concrete for extended periods can be very uncomfortable.
2. Another disadvantage of burnished polished concrete floors is that they do not typically do a good job of keeping the heat in the room. This indicates that throughout the winter months, the surface of the floor will get chilly.
3. If the concrete flooring is not properly polished and sealed, it will be extremely porous and easy for water to seep through.
4. When someone walks on the surface, which is firm and sturdy, it makes a resounding noise.
Achieve a Good-looking Burnished Concrete Finish
If you’ve got your mind set on burnished concrete floor finish, Renucrete can help you get the look you want. We are trained in both pouring and finishing concrete, meaning you can trust that we’ll lay the slab perfectly, clean it impeccably and burnish it to your exact specifications. We also have a range of services available to choose from aside from a burnish concrete finish so get in touch with us by calling us on 0410223300 or visiting our website!
Get a quote for our cream finish polished concrete services by filling out the form below: